Friday, January 16, 2009

REVIEW: Ne-Yo : The Year of the Gentlemen


Shaffer Chimere Smith or his stage name or shall I say super stardom name Ne-Yo is the official God of Love Song s of the new era. At least in my dictionary he is.
I can’t pick a favorite between all the track listed in his new album Year of The Gentlemen, because I like it all. A mix of ballads and up to beat songs, perfect combination.
I gotta say the song “Mad” brought me to tears. Made me think, what if it was too late to say sorry for all the wrong and hurtful things you said and did to your loved ones? I’m especially emotional on this part

“Baby I know sometimes it’s gonna rain,
but baby can we make up now cos
I can’t sleep through the pain,
Girl, I don’t wanna go to bed, mad at you
And I don’t want you to go to bed, mad at me”

Proves that Ne-Yo has the most honest song lyrics of the decade. Most of the songs are talking about love, unfaithfulness, negligence, what a great boyfriend he can be and questioning his lover’s loyalty, things that happen in everyday life. Besides being gifted with a talent for great song writing and ears for great tunes, he has a silky singing voice that goes with it. Damn, why are some people so gifted?? Making me feel so less than ordinary.

His song Miss Independent is a tribute to all of us girls who made it on our own not depending on men to buy us things. All Miss Independent out there, let's drink a glass of champagne for being who we are. Cheers!!!!

So, I can't recommend a favorite because all track listed in this album is worth listening to. I'm sure you've heard of Closer and Miss Independent, but this album has a lot to offer than only 2 hot singles. Go grab one now!!!

Album Track Listing:

1. Closer
2. Nobody
3. Single
4. Mad
5. Miss Independent
6. Why Does She Stay?
7. So You Can Cry
8. Part of The List
9. Back To What You Know
10. Lie To Me
11. Stop This World
12. Fade Into The Background

No comments: